It’s my favorite mask for summer because it deals with dehydration, irritation, shiny skin and pretty much everything. The DIY is super easy and super simple because everybody probably already have those three ingredients. If not, you should because they are all super healthy as well. Did I mention it also doubles as a wonderful breakfast? but, let’s stick to skincare right now. Here’s why they are great applied topically:
- Yogurt – it is moisturizing, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and contains lactic acid, an AHA that dissolves dead skin cells for gentle exfoliation. It helps to soothe sunburns, prevents breakout, diminish appearances of fine lines and reduce discoloration.
- Oats – it contains saponins, a natural cleanser that removes dirt and oil from pores without causing irritation. It is packed with antioxidants, essential minerals and vitamins, like vitamin E, beta glucan, avenanthramides etc. All of which help to heal and moisturize the skin, reduce inflammation, irritation and itchiness.
- Honey – it was talked about in great details in a previous post. Basically it is moisturizing, anti-aging since it contain antioxidants, clarifying/purifying due to enzyme and it have anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
Any one of those ingredients is already wonderful when applied by itself and they are all edible so it’s ok if you freestyle the ratio a bit or decide to microwave the leftover to eat. But if you do plan to use it as a mask multiple times, as always with all DIY, make sure to sanitize all containers/utensils, use purest ingredients possible or clean then thoroughly, and keep the final product sealed/refrigerated when not in use.
Honey, Oatmeal and Yogurt Mask
- 2 tbsp chopped rolled oats (pure oat flour or grounded oats also works)
- 2 tbsp pure plain yogurt with no flavoring (I used organic with whole milk)
- 1 tbsp honey (I used organic raw honey that’s filtered)
- For mild exfoliation, roughly chop the oats. For better oil absorption or to soothe/calm, chop it up finely or ground it in a blender for a few seconds instead.
- Mix chopped oats with yogurt and honey.
- Put it in a sanitized and air-tight container, keep in the fridge when not using.
- To use, just apply the mixture to skin, wait 10-20 minutes, then rinse off. Since all the ingredients are so gentle, you can use it daily or weekly if you want.
It can last 1-2 weeks in the fridge, but it’s so easy and simple to make that I usually just set aside the amount for 2-3 masks when making it (and microwave the rest with some nuts/spices to eat). It can be used on the body as well if you have itchy, flaky or sunburned skin (actually for sunburns I prefer pure aloe vera, but if you don’t have any on hand, this is a great alternative).
It feels cool and refreshing when applied. I can feel it moisturizing and soothing the skin as it dries up. After 15 minutes, I gently rub/wipe off the oats before rinsing at the sink to make it less messy. I like wiping with a wet towel or toner just to make sure I got everything off, then follow with the rest of my skincare. My face looks less red, feels more moisturized but looks matte/less shiny after using it.
It’s effective, easy and quick to make. If your skin feels dry, oily, itchy or irritated, give this a try!